Fact: the food and beverage industry recalled about 8.5 million units between July and September alone. That translates into about four recalls each day, according to the Food and Drug Administration. At a closer look, 74 percent of these recalls stemmed from concerns about product contamination from pathogens including Salmonella and E. coli; similarly, 18 percent were initiated out of fear of contamination from undeclared allergens.
Even with food safety and quality standards in place, there are still risks for cross-contamination when cleaning with mops, rags and even compressed air. Developing a strong cleaning and maintenance program with the right industrial vacuum can make a significant difference. Here are vacuum features food-industry customers should look for to help protect their products and their employees:
- HEPA and ULPA filters to create contaminate-free exhaust and to prevent allergens from recirculating in the air;
- Modular design and stainless steel options to allow for quick, easy cleaning and sanitation;
- Explosion-proof models for compliance with OSHA’s Combustible Dust NEP;
- Food grade accessories such as color-coded nozzles, high temperature wands and Nomex filters for hot oven cleaning and the prevention of cross contamination; and
- Automated filter purging options to help reduce time and effort in executing a maintenance program.
For more information on housekeeping and maintenance within food facilities, visit www.foodprocessingvacuum.com.